WE ARE FANIMALY!!!
It’s another installment of We Are Fanimaly! Come learn who’s related to who!
That’s right everyone- hippos and whales are related to each other. This is recent discovery thanks to DNA. Scientist don’t have a full understanding of this relationship and it’s evolutionary timeline, but we think it is super cool!
HIPPO FUN FACTS!
- Hippopotamus means river horse.
- Hippos have clear membranes that help them see under water.
- Hippos can not swim. They actually walk along riverbeds.
- Hippos “sweat” a red/pink mucus that helps keep their skin moist.
- Hippos spend most of their day in water and their nights on land grazing.
- Hippos are social animals and live in herds.
- Hippos have large canine and incisor teeth.
- Scientist have discovered in recent years that hippos sing songs underwater.
WHALE FUN FACTS!
- Whales are marine mammals.
- Blue whales are the largest mammal on earth.
- Orcas or Killer whales are actually the largest member of the dolphin family.
- Whales are carnivores.
- There are toothed whales and baleen whales.
- Toothed whales are smaller than baleen whales.
- Some whales, like the humpback sing songs to communicate with each other.
- Some whales use echolocation to find food.
- Many whales and dolphins are social animals.