GREATEST HITS- REPTILIAN TUESDAY
We’re off to the rainforests of Central America to meet a really cool reptile that has a special adaptation! Can you run on top of water? We didn’t think so! Let’s head out on today’s adventure!
MEET THE PLUMED BASILISK!
Range/Habitat: Central America/ rainforests-wetlands
Diet: Omnivore: insects, rodents, fruits
Length: 23 ½-30”
Conservation Status: common
- Plumed Basilisks are arboreal (they live in trees).
- They live near streams and rivers.
- Plumed basilisks run across the surface of the water on their hind feet.
- Plumed basilisks have 3 crests on body; on their head, back and tails.
- They are excellent swimmers and can stay under water for 30 minutes.
- Male plumed basilisks are very territorial. They preside over a territory with numerous females.
These lizards are sooo cool! Can you believe they can run on water? We wish we could do that, alas we only doggie paddle, or elephant and horse paddle in this case!