We’re Seeing Red!
Fall has arrived in the Northern Hemisphere and that means many animals are starting to hoard or cache food for the winter! Today we are heading to Europe to meet a small rodent who hoards food for the winter! Let’s go meet the red squirrel!
Range/Habitat: Northern Europe- Asia
- Red squirrels coloration depends on where they are located. They can go from red to black.
- Red squirrels can swim.
- They are crepuscular.
- Red squirrels molt their fur generally twice a year.
- Red squirrels do not hibernate.
- They store caches of food for when supplies might be low in the winter. What seed caches are forgotten help plant new trees.
- Red squirrels are more arboreal.
- They spend most of their waking days foraging for food.