PENGUIN APPRECIATION DAY!
- There are 18 species of penguins in the world.
- All penguins live in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Only 8 species of penguins actually live in cold climates.
- Fossilized penguins have been found that are 58 million years old.
- Penguins do not have teeth. They have barbs on their tongue and throat.
- Penguin wings are called flippers.
- The Emperor Penguin is the largest species.
- The Fairy Penguin is the smallest species.
- Penguins live in colonies.
- Penguins are marine birds. They spend 75% of their life at sea.
- Penguins have up to 70 feathers per square inch.
- Penguins have excellent hearing.
- Emperor Penguins can stay under water for up to 15 minutes.
Penguins are one of my absolute favorite animals. My sister and I thought we would see them when we went to Alaska but when we didn’t, we started exchanging gifts of penguins for years. Then my co-workers got in on it and I probably have over 200 penguin items now. Crazy but true.