Happy Squirrel Appreciation Day! Let’s celebrate the gregarious and precocious little critters today!
- There are more than 200 species of squirrel in the world.
- Squirrels live on every continent except Australia and Antarctica. Wow Australia has all those crazy animals and no squirrels!
- Squirrels are rodents.
- The African Pygmy Squirrel is the smallest species of squirrel. They are 5 inches long.
- The Indian Ground Squirrel is the largest at 3 feet long!
- There are tree squirrels, ground squirrels and flying squirrels.
- Flying squirrels do not actually fly, but glide using a flap of skin on each side.
- Some squirrels can run as fast as 20 mph.
- A squirrel’s teeth grow throughout their lifetime.
- Squirrels are omnivores. They eat bugs, eggs, nuts, seeds and fruit.
- Squirrels that bury their food for winter, find it by rubbing their scent on it first. They use their keen noses to find it later.
- When a squirrel forgets part of the winter cache, those seeds can turn into trees. Squirrels are responsible for the growth of many trees!
- The average squirrel eats about a pound of food a week!
Come make a great squirrel to top your pencils or pens!