WE ARE FANIMALY!
We have a new fanimaly to share with you today! We have two animals that can be found in the intertidal zone that are related! Come learn about sea stars and sand dollars!
- Sand dollars are animals! They are members of the enchinoderm family.
- They are invertebrates.
- Sand dollars are covered in tiny purple spines.
- Those spines help them move and they use them as gills.
- They have a five pointed shape.
- Sand dollars have five teeth like projections that they use to chew their food.
- Sand dollars can live up to 6 to 10 years.
- Sea stars are also echinoderms.
- Sea stars are carnivores like sand dollars.
- They have no blood or brains.
- Most sea stars have 5 arms, but some can have as many as 40.
- Sea stars have tiny little feet that they use to move and to pry apart prey like muscles.
- Sea stars push their stomach outside their body to envelope their prey and digest it.
- They can regenerate limbs.
These are just a few fun facts about these two animal relatives. Sea stars and sand dollars are both super cool! Which one do you like best?