A Hare of a Different Kind!
- California sea hares can be found in intertidal zones from California to Northern Mexico.
- They can grow up to 30 inches long and weigh up to 15 lbs, but on average they are about 15 inches long.
- California sea hares are herbivores. They eat kelp and red algae.
- Sea hares are members of the sea slug family.
- California sea hares are very toxic. That toxicity comes from the algae they eat.
- When threatened, they can release either a pink ink or white milky ink. The pink ink smells like cedar.
- California sea hares are nocturnal.
- One of its known predators are the giant green anemone!
- Sea hares have one foot on their underside they use to move!
- Sea hares have the largest neurons of any animal on the planet.
Sea hares are amazing creatures! They better stay away from our friends the giant green anemone. Scientists have studied these slugs for many years because of their simple but amazing neurological system.
Please do more posts on these animals. I have never heard of them and your post wants me to find out more about them. Very odd, very interesting, very scary and very creepy.