HAPPY WORLD OCEANS DAY!
Ocean Fun Facts:
- 70% of planet is covered by oceans.
- Light cannot penetrate past 330 feet so most of ocean is dark! (Eiffel tower was under water- about 2/3 of it would be in constant darkness).
- The Mid oceanic ridge is the longest chain of mountains in the world- 40,000+ miles long & covers 23% of the earth’s surface.
- Humans didn’t explore the ridge til 1973- 4 years after we landed on the moon.
- Challenger deep in Marianas trench is the deepest point in the ocean and on the whole planet. It’s 11,034 meters deep (almost 7 miles). You could fit 24 Empire State Buildings stacked on top of each other in that trench!!
- Most of the worlds volcanoes are underwater.
- Humans depend on the oceans for food (most of the world’s protein supply comes from fish), transportation/trade and communication (most goods go by cargo ships).
- A good deal of the earth’s oxygen comes from our oceans. Phytoplankton in the ocean provide up to 80% of the world’s oxygen supplies.
Let’s meet some of the deep oceans craziest looking animals:
The oceans are so fascinating and scientists say only about 10% of them have been explored! That means so much of the world’s ocean is a mystery! What we do know is that humans are polluting those magnificent places! Come learn some ocean trash facts with us:
Ocean trash facts :
- It takes up to 1,000 years for some plastics to degrade.
- Plastics make up 90% of the trash floating at the oceans’ surface.
- 1 million sea birds die from plastic trash each year.
- The top trash item found in the ocean are cigarettes!
- 35 million plastic bottles are Thrown Away each year!
- Beached whales have been found with bellies full of plastic.
- Sea turtles mistake grocery bags for jelly fish.
HOW WE CAN HELP:
- Recycle! Recycle! Recycle!
- Use reusable glass water bottles!
- Bring reusable coffee mugs to your local coffee shop.
- Use glass storage containers instead of plastic ones.
- Get out those reusable shopping bags and use them!
- Ditch the straws- straws are not reusable.
- Never use body wash or cleanser with plastic beads. Soon these beads will be illegal! YAY- the US is the first country to ban these trashy beads that never disintegrate.
Let’s all work together to protect our world’ wonderful oceans and the amazing inhabitants!
We just bought all new recycling bins! And recycled the old ones 🙂