HAPPY WORLD OCEANS DAY!
Ocean Fun Facts:
- 70% of planet is covered by oceans.
- Light cannot penetrate past 330 feet so most of ocean is dark! (Eiffel tower was under water- about 2/3 of it would be in constant darkness).
- The Mid oceanic ridge is the longest chain of mountains in the world- 40,000+ miles long & covers 23% of the earth’s surface.
- Humans didn’t explore the ridge til 1973- 4 years after we landed on the moon.
- Challenger deep in Marianas trench is the deepest point in the ocean and on the whole planet. It’s 11,034 meters deep (almost 7 miles). You could fit 24 Empire State Buildings stacked on top of each other in that trench!!
- Most of the worlds volcanoes are underwater.
- Humans depend on the oceans for food (most of the world’s protein supply comes from fish), transportation/trade and communication (most goods go by cargo ships).
- A good deal of the earth’s oxygen comes from our oceans. Phytoplankton in the ocean provide up to 80% of the world’s oxygen supplies.
Let’s meet some of the deep oceans craziest looking animals:
The oceans are so fascinating and scientists say only about 10% of them have been explored! That means so much of the world’s ocean is a mystery! What we do know is that humans are polluting those magnificent places! Come learn some ocean trash facts with us:
Ocean trash facts :
- It takes up to 1,000 years for some plastics to degrade.
- Plastics make up 90% of the trash floating at the oceans’ surface.
- 1 million sea birds die from plastic trash each year.
- The top trash item found in the ocean are cigarettes!
- 35 million plastic bottles are Thrown Away each year!
- Beached whales have been found with bellies full of plastic.
- Sea turtles mistake grocery bags for jelly fish.
HOW WE CAN HELP:
- Recycle! Recycle! Recycle!
- Use reusable glass water bottles!
- Bring reusable coffee mugs to your local coffee shop.
- Use glass storage containers instead of plastic ones.
- Get out those reusable shopping bags and use them!
- Ditch the straws- straws are not reusable.
- Never use body wash or cleanser with plastic beads. Soon these beads will be illegal! YAY- the US is the first country to ban these trashy beads that never disintegrate.
Let’s all work together to protect our world’ wonderful oceans and the amazing inhabitants!