Walks on Water!
Location: Amazon rainforest
- Common basilisks are also called the Jesus lizard for their ability to run on water.
- Common basilisks can run up to 7 mph. The average is 5 mph.
- They stand erect and run on their back feet. Younger, lighter lizards can run longer distances than adults.
- They are also excellent swimmers and can stay in the water for up to a 1/2 hour.
- Common basilisks have large crests down their backs.
- The males have crests on their heads and tails.
- Commons basilisks are excellent climbers too.
- These carnivores have a mouth full of sharp teeth.
We happened upon a basilisk escaping from a predator as we walking around today. It ran so fast over the water before taking a swim. These lizards are amazing and those fast feet are a great adaptation to get away from predators.