Location: Galapagos Islands
- Galapagos island rice rats were first described by Charles Darwin.
- They are nocturnal.
- Rice rats burrow under rocks or in the hollow of a cactus.
- They are the only native rat on the Galapagos Islands.
- They now live only on one island, Santa Fe.
- Rice rats have more babies during wet years.
We had to disembark the SS Ellie and Edmond at night to locate these tiny inhabitants. We always carry red flashlights as not to disturb the animals (many animals can not detect it). Our guide knew just where to look. We watched a few little rats chowing down on dinner and scurrying about! We’ll sleep in before heading off to meet tomorrow’s animal.