Meet Sally Lightfoot!
Location: Galapagos Islands
- Sally lightfoot crabs vary in color.
- They live on rock shores.
- Sally lightfoots are also known as the red rock crab.
- Juvenile crabs are darker in coloration- brown or black. This helps them camouflage in with the volcanic rock of the islands.
- They are fast and very agile.
- Baby sally lightfoots hatch from eggs in the ocean, where they spend the first part of their lives growing and eating plankton.
- Sally lightfoots can shed a leg when they are grabbed by a predator.
We had such a ball watching these gregarious crabs on the rocks. They jump and leap and so agile on a habitat that other animals do not do so well on. It is so cool to know each creature occupies their spot in the environment.