One Magnificent Frigate Bird!
Location: Galapagos Islands
- Magnificent frigate birds feed on flying fish that catch when the fish jump out of the water.
- They spend most of their lives at sea.
- Male magnificent frigate birds have large red throat sacs. They use these to attract females during mating season.
- Females are dark with white coloration. They are also large than the males.
- They have long hooked bills.
- You magnificent frigate birds stay with their mother for up to a year.
- They are also known as the Man-O-War bird.
We watched these birds soar from the boat and then as we were on land watching the Sally Lightfoot crabs. These amazing sea birds are so graceful in the air, diving down to catch their meals. Sea going birds are a favorite at the University- Professor Baxter might be a bit bias though :). Hehehehe!