Island Sea Islands
Location: Galapagos Islands
- Galapagos sea lion are smaller than their California sea lion cousins.
- Galapagos sea lions love sardines. They can suffer in years when the sardine population is low.
- Like other sea lions are also very vocal. They communicate with each other with barks and grunts.
- Galapagos sea lions have long pointy snouts.
- Males have large crests on their heads.
- Dominate males have a territory that they share with a group of females.
- Non-dominate males live in small bachelor groups.
We sat and watched the sea lions all afternoon today. They are very gregarious and loud, not to mention a bit smelly! Hehehe! The islands have very strict rules on watching these social pinnipeds- you must not get too close. That is a good rule for the wildlife and the people who love to watch them.