We’re Seaing Lions
We’re starting off the week on the coast meeting some large, stinky and loud mammals. Sea lions are so gregarious and fun to watch.
Location: California coast
California Sea Lion Fun Facts:
- The large and in charge California sea lion is the fastest member of the pinniped family. They can reach speeds up to 25 mph.
- A group of California sea lions is called a colony.
- They have a thick layer of blubber to keep them warm in the cold waters off the coast of California.
- They are agile swimmers. Their rear flippers rotate to help navigate when the haul out on land.
- Sea lions can slow their heart rates to help them stay under water for up to 10 mins.
- Males are larger than females.
- California sea lions are extremely social. They live in groups with a dominate male and females and their offspring.
- They are very vocal. Their characteristic bark is loud.
- California sea lions are highly intelligent.
We had so much watching the sea lions interact with each other. They made us laugh. But goodness are they loud and they stink of fish :)!
Agreed on the very loud and very stinky LOL
They are fun to watch though. In LaJolla last year we, Watched one figure out how to use the waves to help propel him up a huge rock. We all cheered when he made it.