We Found a New Secretary
Today we hung out with one of most favorite birds, the Secretary Bird. We wanted him to come be our new secretary at HQs, alas he decided to stay in the Serengeti- probably a good plan!
Secretary Fun Facts:
- Secretary birds are diurnal (they’re active during the day) and nests in Acacia trees at night.
- They have long powerful legs that they use for striking prey.
- It’s thought that they were named after English secretaries because the crests on their heads look like quills that secretaries used to write with, but it’s now thought that is it comes from an Arabic word meaning “hunter bird”.
- Secretary birds walk more than they fly. They can walk up to 15 miles a day in search of food.
- It is admired in Africa for its hunting skills, especially its ability to kill venomous snakes.
- It’s even part of the Coat of Arms for South Africa.
We love these graceful menacing looking birds. You better watch out if you’re a snake in this bird’s path!
Must go look up the coat of arms for South Africa now. I like the meanings of secretary, I think human ones should take on these other titles 😉