Dave the Daddy Long Legs!
Hi! I’m Dave the daddy long legs! I’m that familiar arachnid that everyone knows, but what do your really know about me? Well campers I’m here to tell you 8 great things about daddy long legs!
- I’m not a true spider! Yes, I am an arachnid, but I have one solid body and one pair of eyes. Technically I’m more closing related to scorpions.
- I belong to a group of arachnids who are called harvestmen. We get that name because we are spotted near the time of the harvest.
- We’ve been on the planet for 400 million years! You can find my relatives on every continent but Antarctica- we leave that cold place for the penguins! Brrrrrrr!
- I don’t have venom. So that old wives tail that I’m deadly but my fangs are too short is just a big ole lie, because I don’t have fangs either!
- There are around 6,000-7,000 known species of us harvestmen. We come in big and small sizes and let me tell you- some of us are wild looking!
- No- my legs do not grow back! So, please leave them on me!
- We are clean and tidy. After meals, we run our legs through our jaws to clean them! We’re the cats of the arachnid world! Hahaha!
- We’re not in to traveling. We live our whole lives in one small area. So no need to try and sell us a suitcase.
Well I hope now that you more about me and my cousins, it will make you appreciate us! Don’t worry- we won’t bite :)!