Finding the Sandbar
We are heading out on the S.S E&E to meet a shark today! Often when you are at the beach, you’ll see where more sand has accumulated and even sticks out of the water- this is called sandbar! Well today we are meeting the sandbar shark! They are found around bays, estuaries and sandy bottoms.
Sandbar Shark Fun Facts:
- These streamline sharks can grow up to 8 feet long.
- Sandbar sharks have large dorsal fins.
- These carnivores eat mollusks, crustaceans and fish.
- Sandbar sharks are also called brown sharks.
- They are listed as Vulnerable by the IUCN.
- Sandbar sharks give birth to live young!
These relatives of the bull shark are not aggressive like their cousins. Like other sharks, they are threatened by humans- due to shark finning, pollution and over fishing.