We are meeting one last animal at Camp E&E! The summer has flown by hasn’t it? We can hardly believe it! We could spend hours and hours watching the brown pelican take diving in the ocean scooping up eats! Let’s mee them today!
Brown Pelcian Fun Facts:
- The Brown Pelican is the smallest of all pelican species.
- They are plunge divers. They fly above the surface of the water and then drop or plunge into the sea to catch their prey.
- Brown pelicans have a greenish skin on their face that is brighter during mating season.
- Brown pelicans like to nest in trees, shrubs and mangroves.
- Both parents incubate eggs. They usually have 2-3 chicks. One chick can eat up to 150 lbs of food by the time they are 10 months old! That’s a bunch of fish for little guys
- Their pouch can hold up to 3 gallons and the stomach can hold around 1 gallon.
- Brown pelicans are the state bird of Louisiana.
We love pelicans! Love them! They are one of the coolest birds around! Do you love them as much as us? Stick around for the last craft day of camp tomorrow!