Doggies of the Desert!
We headed out from camp today to meet on the residents for the prairie and the desert. We were excited to find these rodents. Can you guess who were are meeting?
Let’s learn more about the prairie dog!
Black Tailed Prairie Dog Fun Facts:
- Prairie dogs live in groups called coteries. These family groups include a male or two and several females. The females stay in their group for their whole lives.
- Their prairie dog towns give shelter to other animals. Their towns also attract insects which birds depend on.
- They are vocal. Scientists are just beginning to realize how complicated their language is.
- Prairie dog populations have fallen by 95%, this is mainly due to habitat loss.
- These prairie dogs do not hibernate.
- Prairie dogs are herbivores.
- Black tailed prairie dogs are listed as Least Concern by the ICUN.
- They get their name from the barking noises they make.
These rodents and cousins of the common grey squirrel are one of our favorites. There are five species of these little dudes. Scientists are working to protect their habitat and them as they are important for the survival of many species.