The Real Kermit
We went frogging during the evening. Costa Rica is one of the best places for spotting amphibians. We went looking for a very new species and we were not dissappointed.
Diane’s Bare-Hearted Glass Frog:
- Glass frogs have transparent skin on their bellies. You can see all of their organs!
- These frogs are found in the mountains of Costa Rica. They are the first new glass frog species to be discovered in 40 years.
- It has long thin fingers and toes.
- They are nocturnal.
- Males have an almost insect like call they use to attract females.
- These cuties have white ping pong like eyeballs with black irises that make them look just like Kermit the frog.
We often think it is crazy that scientists are still discovering new species. It is so important to protect the wild places on earth so that all animals- known and not known have a healthy habitat to call home.
REAL KERMIT!!!! That is awesome!