Howling Good Time!
Today we are meeting one loud and awesome mammal today! These tree dwellers know how to make a ruckus! We love it!
Mantled Howler Monkey Fun Facts:
- They have long guard hairs on their face. That is where they get their name.
- These monkeys are large. Males get up to 22 lbs. ‘
- They are folivores- leaf eaters. They also eat fruit.
- They are important for the rainforest, as they disperse seeds when they poop.
- Mantled howler monkeys live in groups of mostly unrelated adults.
- They have prehensile tails.
- These diurnal monkeys are built for life in the trees.
- They can be heard for a few miles away.
- Mantled howlers are listed as Least Concern by IUCN.
We had a blast watching these monkeys. They are fairly lazy though. They spend most of their energy eating. Those leaves did look delicious. We were glad we had snacks, because we’re sure they wouldn’t share.
Lazy monkeys are the best monkeys 😉