We set out to meet one of the rarer animals of the Pantanal today! We located a few having a snack. These amazing members of the mustelid family are soooo cool!
Giant Otter Fun Facts:
- These large carnivores can get up to 6 ft long and weigh up to 75 lbs.
- They have powerful tails and webbed feet for a life in the water.
- These territorial giants live in small family groups.
- Giant otters can eat up to 9lbs of fish a day.
- They live in dens in the banks of the rivers they call home.
- Giant otters are very vocal and use a variety of squeaks and screams. They are considered to be the most vocal otter species on earth.
- They are often called the river wolf.
- They are diurnal.
- Giant river otters are listed as Endangered by the IUCN.
We enjoyed seeing these amazing animals. They are now protected from the poaching that led to their decline. They are becoming important for tourism in the areas they call home.