We have northern cardinals at the HQs! They are such colorful songbirds! It turns out there are cardinals here in the Pantanal. These birds don’t have a full body of red, but they are gorgeous! Let’s learn more about them.
Red-crested cardinal fun facts:
- Red-crested cardinals have red heads, white chests and black wings and bodies.
- These little birds grow up to 7 1/2 inches and weigh up to 1 1/2 oz.
- They are omnivores. They eat fruit, seeds and insects.
- A pair of cardinals is very territorial, especially during breeding season.
- They are listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.
We loved meeting this little bird who looks like one of our favorite backyard species! We had no idea there were other kinds of cardinals out there!
These are gorgeous birds!