We headed out to meet to a flying rodent today. We stayed up during the evening to spot this creature.
Red Giant Flying Squirrel Fun Facts:
- These nocturnal rodents are can grow up to 17 inches long.
- They have flaps of skin that help them glide (not fly) in the trees.
- Red giant flying squirrels have large eyes to help them see at night.
- These herbivores eats leaves, cones, fruits and nuts.
- They migrate areas to find food.
- Females have liters twice a year.
- They are listed as Least Concern by IUCN.
It is so cool to see these squirrels gliding in the trees! And who knew squirrels could get so big!
Almost looks like the red panda. I definitely think I would be scared to see this gliding over my head… even if it is cute otherwise 🙂