The Original Panda
We are meeting the original panda today! That’s right- the red panda was “discovered” 50 years before the giant panda. These two pandas are not related. The red panda is related to the raccoon and giant pandas are bears. It was thought that they were related for many years as they live in similar habitats and both eat bamboo.
Red Panda Fun Facts:
- Red pandas can grow up to 26 inches long and weigh up to 20 pounds. Their tales can be up to 20 inches long.
- Those tails have white rings on them.
- These arboreal animals are mostly nocturnal.
- Red pandas have a pseudo thumb (an elongated wrist bone) that helps them grip bamboo. These herbivores eat other things too including; eggs, fruits and nuts.
- They are solitary animals.
- Red pandas come together during mating season. Red panda cubs stay with their moms for about a year.
- They are listed as Endangered by the IUCN.
We love the red panda. We know they have many fans out there too. Unfornately they are endangered due to habitat loss. You can learn more on how to protect them from the Red Panda Network.
Can herbivores eat eggs? Doesn’t that make them omnivores? Curious…
Red Pandas are just so adorable. I wonder if they are as soft as they look or if they are actually a course hair.