Eight is Great!
We were so excited to spot today’s animal at camp while on a snorkeling trip! It’s always amazing to see new species (new to us) and today we are meeting the commons octopus.
Common Octopus Fun Facts:
- Common octopus can grow up to 4 feet long and weigh around 22 lbs.
- These carnivores eat mollusks, crabs and other shellfish.
- They have venomous saliva to help subdue any prey.
- They have some of the most amazing camouflage techniques in the animal world. They can change their color and texture instantly to blend in with their surroundings. They have special cells in their skin and muscles that help them do so.
- The common octopus can also release ink to avoid predators.
- They are most active at dusk and dawn.
- Common octopus are highly intelligent and are known to raid lobster traps and open jars in aquariums.
- Octopus are able to absorb water through their gills and their skin!
We looooove all cephalopods and it is always fun to share more about them with our campers! Do you love them as much as us?