MAMMAL MONDAY #47!
This Mammal Monday we’re going a boat to South America to find one amazing and beautiful marine mammal! What’s black and white and swims? Let’s go find out!
MEET THE COMMERSON’S DOLPHIN!
Diet: Carnivore: sea stars, fish, crabs
Length/Weight: 4 ½-5 ½ ft
Conservation Status: common
- Commerson’s Dolphins are black and white and look like small killer whales.
- Commerson’s Dolphins calves are gray and develop their coloration as adults.
- They live in schools of around 10 individuals.
- Commerson’s Dolphins are also called the Panda Dolphin.
- They are very acrobatic swimmers.
- Commerson’s Dolphins are known to swim upside down to find their prey on the ocean floor.
Wow, these fast and graceful dolphins are gorgeous! They really do look like mini orcas! Did you know that Orcas are the largest members of the dolphin family? Neat!