MAMMAL MONDAY #51
We’re going to West Africa today to meet a member of the cattle family who lives in marshes! That’s right everyone, these guys can swim! So let’s grab our wellies and head out into the marshland to meet…
MEET THE SITATUNGA!
Diet: Herbivore: aquatic plants
Length/Weight: 4-5 ½ ft/ 110-280 lbs
Conservation Status: common
- Sitatungas are also called the Marshbuck.
- They have hooves that are made for walking on muddy ground.
- Sitatungas are excellent swimmers.
- Male Sitatungas have long pointed horns.
- They are crepuscular (active at dawn and dusk).
- Female Sitatungas live in small herds.
Sitatungas are really handsome! It is so cool that spend so much of their time in marshes. They have such neat feet that are built for living in a squishy habitat! Would you ever want to live in a marsh?