INTERNATIONAL SLOTH DAY!
- Sloths sleep up to 20 hours a day.
- Sloths live in the rainforests of South and Central America.
- Sloths are related to armadillos and anteaters.
- Sloths have algae that grow on their fur; it helps them camouflage in the trees.
- There are two main species- two toed and three toed sloths.
- They are herbivores, eating leaves, shoots and fruit.
- Sloths only go on the ground about once a week and they do that to poop and pee. This keeps their scent away from their tree top homes.
- Giant sloths roamed the earth during the time of woolly mammoths, around 11,000 years ago.
- Sloths are great swimmers!
- Sloths have a four chambered stomach.
- Baby sloths cling to their mothers in their first weeks of life.
Check out the Sloth Sanctuary of Costa Rica for more information about these amazing animals and how you can help!