A Frog You Can See Through
Location: Cloud forest
- Northern glass frogs like other glass frogs have clear or transparent skin on their bellies.
- The top of the Northern glass frog is a pale green.
- They have yellow suction pads on their toes for gripping and yellow irises in their eyes.
- Northern glass frogs are also known as the Fleischmann’s glass frog.
- They are nocturnal.
- Female glass frogs lay eggs under a leaf over running water. When the eggs hatch, the tadpoles fall into the water to develop.
- Males guard the eggs until they hatch.
- They are arboreal.
It was not easy to climb high up in to the cloud forest today, but it was worth it. Edmond kept saying he wished we’d had frogs to eat all the bugs in our group. Professor Carl did eat a few! We’ll need heavier mud to cover ourselves next time. But after our long, bug-filled hike, we spotted those cute little frogs. It was totally exciting.