We headed to the heart of the Mojave Desert in search of one of two species of tortoises! These desert tortoises call this their home and we were thrilled to learn more about them!
Desert Tortoise Fun Facts:
- These tortoises spend most of their time in burrows and shelters. They are inactive most of the year. They stay in cool areas to avoid losing water during the heat and they hibernate during the winter.
- You’ll find them mostly after a rain.
- They can live up to 80 years.
- Desert tortoises have sharp claws that help them dig burrows. They can spend 95% of their lives in burrows.
- Desert tortoises are slow growing. They still are only around 8 inches at 16 years old. They can reach up to 30 inches total.
- These herbivores are listed as threatened and vulnerable- depending on the population.
- Their biggest threat is habitat loss.
These amazing creatures are made for the desert. They can survive a year without direct access to water! WOW!!
A whole year??? Without water?? Crazy