We headed to the mountains today to find one neat and large mammal. We had fun climbing all around the trails and looking for these sheep that can climb mountains.
Desert Bighorn Sheep Fun Facts:
- Bothe male and females have horns. The males are large and curved while the females are smaller.
- It can take a male up to 8 years to have fully formed horns. Their horns can weigh up to 30 lbs.
- They can weigh up to 280 lbs.
- Males are known for their head to head combat during mating season.
- They have excellent eyesight.
- They live in small herds, made up females and offspring. The males live in bachelor groups.
- These herbivores are diurnal.
- They use their horns and hooves to removes spines from cactus so they can eat them.
These agile sheep and so amazing! They are built to climb and to survive in the scrub land. Watching the males go head to head can be quiet impressive and a bit scary!