Bird in the Burrow
We had a great adventure looking for an unusual bird today. This owl doesn’t live in trees it lives in burrows underground. Neat!
Burrowing Owl Fun Facts:
- Burrowing owls live in burrows they dig themselves or ones that other animals have made, like prairie dogs.
- Burrowing owls are carnivores. They eat small mammals, insects, lizards and birds.
- They hunt day or night.
- Burrowing owls line their burrow entrances with animal poop. This marks their territory and it attracts insects that the owls eat.
- They stow food to have during the incubation period of their eggs.
- Burrowing owls spend most of their time near the ground.
Burrowing owls are so gorgeous. They are more tolerant of Co2 because they live underground where the gas can be more concentrated. This bird’s adaptations are so cool.