That is Not a Pig!
We went in search a small ungulant today! What is an ungulant you ask? Ungulant are animals that have hooves- like Edmond! We were looking to meet a collared peccary. These mammals look like pigs, but they are only distantly related. Let’s learn more about them.
Collared Peccary Fun Facts:
- Collared peccarys grow up to 5 ft long and weigh up to 60 lbs.
- These herbivores eat plants, fruits, nuts and small invertebrates.
- They live in small family groups.
- Collared peccarys have sharp tusks that face downward. They use these to protect themselves from predators.
- They also give off a strong musky odor when threatened.
- These diurnal animals spend their nights in burrows.
- They are also called the javelina.
These funny looking animals are so cute! Have you ever heard of them? It’s fun to learn about all new animals!
I know the javelina!! I thought that is what they looked like. I learned about then in Tucson last year. Very cool