What did you say birdie?
We were exploiting the area and all of the sudden heard a loud funny call! We dissolved it was a bird called the great kiskadee! And yes, they get their name from the funny call they make!
Great Kiskadee Fun Facts:
- These little birds grow up to 10 inches long and weigh about 2 oz.
- They are members of the flycatcher family.
- These common birds sit and wait for their insect prey to come by, when they fly out to catch it! They are also known to eat some small vertebrates and fruit.
- They are territorial and will even attack raptors.
- Male and females build the nest. Females incubate the eggs.
- They are listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.
These gregarious little birds are spotted all around here! We have never met a member of the flycatcher family. Who else pictures a bird with a fly swatter in the wing? Hehehehe!