We spent the last few days snorkeling in and around the reefs around these magically islands. We met so many spectacular animals and we are sharing one with you today!
Spotted Moray Eel:
- Spotted morays can grow up to 6 ft long and weigh up to 5 1/2 lbs.
- These carnivores eat fish, mollusks and crustaceans.
- Spotted morays have two sets of jaws. The first set is in the front of their mouths. The second set is in the esophagus. The second set of jaws grabs the prey and pushes it down the throat.
- They have poor eyesight. They use their excellent sense of smell to locate prey.
- They are nocturnal.
- Typically spotted morays are nocturnal.
- They are listed as Threatened by the ICUN.
We had a blast snorkeling and it was even more special to meet the shy and elusive eels. They love to hide among the coral and in crevices in the rocks!