Doing Some Geometry
We headed out today with a local tracker to find a species that is critically endangered. We did find one of these special animals and we couldn’t wait to share more about them with you!
Geometric Tortoise Fun Facts:
- These tortoises grow put to 6 inches long.
- They have a geometric, radiating pattern on their shell that help them camouflage.
- These herbivores eat flowers, leaves and shoots.
- Once thought to be extinct, a small population (around 2,000-3,000) was found in the west cape of the country.
- They are thought to be aestivate (be dormant) in the summer.
- Females are larger than males, but have shorter tails.
- They are highly protected by the local conservation organizations and the government.
We were super excited to spot this little rare tortoise. They are shy, so we had to be very quiet and patient. We were lucky to have such a great tracker with us. We wonder who we might find tomorrow.