We are meeting our first resident of Camp EE at the beach- the long-billed curlew. One of our favorite pastimes at beach camp is to watch shore birds run around looking for food and running away from the waves.
Long-billed curlew fun facts:
- These carnivores use those long bills to grab crustaceans and marine invertebrates.
- They hunt for prey in groups.
- They run or walk on the ground often.
- They are the largest member of the sandpiper family.
- Males do fancy flights to attract mates. They mate in grasslands and prairies away from the shore.
- They are listed as Least Concern by the IUCN.
We love these birdies with their skinny legs and long funny beaks. We could watch them all day and we might just do that!