We slept all day after looking for frogs the night before! Our next adventure was at night too. We went looking for a shy and elusive primate that doesn’t look like a primate at all!
Aye-Aye Fun Facts:
- Aye-aye’s are the largest nocturnal primate in the world.
- They are members of the prosimian family, which includes lemurs.
- They have one long stick like finger they use to grab grubs out of trees. They also use it to tap on trees and listen for bug tunnels!
- Aye-aye’s are arboreal and rarely if never come to the ground.
- Aye-aye’s have long bushy tails to help them navigate their tree homes. In fact they have the longest tail of any prosimian!
- They sleep during the day in nests of twigs. They rotate nests.
- Aye-aye’s are solitary. They mark their territory with scent glands in their faces, necks and bums.
These wild and weird animals are alien looking! When scientists first discovered them they thought they were rodents! Nope- they are primates- related to apes, monkeys and lemurs. Who knew? The world’s rainforests are full such amazing creatures!
I have never heard of these, nor seen anything like it. I already thought there were tons of animals in the world but there are even more! Amazing. Thank you for writing about these many unfamiliar animals.