Today, we met another super awesome lemur today! They aren’t as crazy looking as the aye-aye we met last week, but they are just as cool.
Indri Fun Facts:
- Indri are the largest lemur on earth.
- They are arboreal and diurnal.
- The native Malagasy name for them is babakoto.
- Indri leap in a upright position from tree to tree.
- Indri mate for life and live in small family groups.
- Indri are known for their loud songs that can be sung several times a day! These songs/calls are as haunting as they are beautiful!
- Indri are considered sacred among the native people of Madagascar.
We so enjoyed watching these amazing lemurs. Those calls are so loud! Unfortunately, Indri are critically endangered mostly due to habitat loss. It is crucial that we all work together to use our resources wisely! Let’s all recycle as much as possible!