A Skink not a Skunk!
After we settled in at camp we decided where we should go on our first adventure! We wanted to meet a neat little lizard we knew lived in this habitat! We headed off for the day with our day packs full of snacks and MUD SPF 30 sunscreen!
Location: Great Victorian Desert
Great Desert Skink Fun Facts:
- Great desert skinks vary in color from tan to grey or dark brown.
- They store fat in their tales during the winter.
- Males are slightly larger than females.
- Great desert skinks live in complex burrows with several entrances and areas.
- A family group occupies the burrow. Babies stay with their family for up to three years.
- They generally hunt at night in the hotter months.
We had such fun going to look for these little short legged lizards! They remind us of another Australian skink- the blue tongued skink! They are both so cool! And they aren’t slimy at all- very smooth!
Skink mansions?? They sound very cool.