Sun in the Ocean
We’re meeting one awesome fish today! It is big, odd looking and one of a kind! Come learn more about the Ocean Sunfish or Mola Mola with us!
Mola Mola Fun Facts:
- Molas are large and round shaped. The name mola means millstone for its round shape.
- They are known for swimming up by the surface and letting birds pick parasites off of their skin.
- It is the heaviest bony fish in the world. They can get as large as 15 feet!
- Female ocean sunfish lay 300 million eggs at a time.
- Those eggs are star shaped and about the size of a pin head!
- Ocean sunfish are related to pufferfish.
- These odd disk shaped fish use their dorsal and anal fins to swim!
These super cool alien looking fish are one of our favorites. We sure wouldn’t say they are cute, but wow are the neat!